Friday, March 26, 2010

Miércoles- El Desfile y Gazpacho Manchego (!)

Wednesday:
I slept til late afternoon after dropping Becky at the train station and then headed on over to my falla, of course. Today was the parade day. When I arrived all the kids were milling about the casal, waiting for the dragon to be ready. My falla has this dragon thingy that's like Chinese dragons and all the kids get under it, carry it, and dance in the streets while we have a band that's dressed like it's Halloween, but crazier, playing songs that everyone knows. Everyone is singing alone and our giant is dancing too. Jesús, one of my professors, and his friend, Roxane, came too. Jesús right now is on crutches because he's incredibly clumsy and tripped on some stairs, but for some reason he decided to follow the parade. So, imagine this: Roxane and I, being silly people, dancing, running around, singing, goofy, and then running back to get Jesús, who the whole time had a huge smile on his face like a little kid. That dude is a true valenciano.
the dragon and kiddies

el gigante- someone is under him and while the music and parade goes so goes the giant, dancing in the street. The person who carries the giant has to take turns because it's pretty durn heavy.

mi amiga Roxane!

la banda- not the best picture but check out their attire

Afterwards was GAZPACHO MANCHEGO. Best stuff in the entire world. It's tomatoes and rabbit and garlic and yummmmmmmy goodness. I helped out cooking, mostly because I was starving and wanted it to cook faster. Standing close to the fire, smelling the yummy smells, while your stomach is eating out your insides is torture. That gazpacho was the most satisfying thing I've ever eaten since I've been here.
Look! Arnau is hungry too! feeeeeed us!!!

gazpacho=heaven

the other dish- rice something (I forget the name) which was equally as good, of course it helped that Vicenta was dressed like a proper chef.

No comments:

Post a Comment