Monday, March 29, 2010

Jueves- Paella!!!

Thursday! Noche de Fuego! Night of Fire!

I pulled myself out of bed by 4pm, early, I know, and stumbled over to my falla to try on the traditional falla dress, which I wore on friday for the pass through the streets. Afterwards there was an obra de teatro (theater piece) for the kids of acrobatics and juggling and general good-funness. I got picked to participate in an act, and luckily one of the actors was from England so when they were explaining the rules (of which I was really confused- the dude talked really super fast) she whispered what I had to do in my ear. It was a super good thing, because what we were doing was sitting together without chairs. Reference the picture. Whew. Wierd.

Afterwards, PAELLA. What is paella, you might ask? Well, it's rice, garlic, and stuff left over in your fridge. Okay, joke, but really, there's a million different types of paella, and Valencia is famous for it. You have seven different types of paella each that serve 50 people, one spoon, and a hungry stomach. What a wonderful combination. I jumped from paella to paella, trying them all, eating until I almost passed out with a food coma. Terrific.

Paella! So goooooood. When I get back to the US I'm buying a pan for paella and we're having a "tastes of Spain" week...no...month!

food coma- best place ever to sleep- a roller bag. What a lucky kid.

After the wonderful eats I headed off to see the castillo (fireworks show) that lasts for 30 minutes, and I must say, this is the only thing that didn't absolutely impress me during fallas. Granted, I could only see half of it because a huge building was in the way, but I felt it was still missing something (possibly I was having intense AOSFB flashbacks?). After the castillo we decided to head back to my falla where there was a disco ball and a great dance party going on. We hit the sack around...something super ridiculously early in the morning.



No comments:

Post a Comment