Thursday, July 1, 2010

Paris

Paris. Incredibly huge, incredibly touristy, incredibly expensive, and incredibly...well...french. I only had a day and a half to explore the city that's probably bigger than any other city I've ever been in (with the exception of New York City, of course). I stayed in the Montemarte district, which is close to the train station, but I spent most of my time in the Latin Quarter, which appealed to me not because of the kitschy tourist shops and streets packed full of people from all over the world (I was unpleasantly reminded of all the annoying american accents I happily forgot), but because there were people that spoke spanish= I could COMMUNICATE with someone. I had spent the whole trip wildly gesticulating, trying to get the point across that I want a coffee and some bread or I just want one train ticket to city X. Therefore I camped out in the Latin Quarter, watching the World Cup and chatting with some dudes from Mexico and Chile.
reminisces of The DaVinci Code movie, which was a incredible failure, but nonetheless, the glass piramids were pretty cool

I got there on Monday afternoon and had to go to my hotel by 6pm to check in, so I only had 2 hours to go to the Louvre, because unfortunately it's closed Tuesday. I went running through the metro of Paris, got my ticket, and immediatly went to see the Mona Lisa, Nat King Cole singing in my head. Summary: totally unimpressive little painting.
After that dissapointment I went off in search of my favorite sculpture, and that was impressive.

I spent the most of my time with the sculptures, finding some true classics and some truly hilarious ones.

this guy obivisouly chewed too much tobaco


The rest of the day was spent in my sleeping space, chilling with other travels, having some glasses of wine and debates about Heidegger and books until 3am. Woke up the next morning, ready to walk to the Eiffel Tower and Arc d 'Triumph. It was a beautiful day, the first day where it wasn't rainy and cloudy during my whole trip. I enjoyed the sights, but was a bit overwhelmed by the enormity of the city and the massive amounts of tourists. I really don't enjoy feeling like a tourist, so I didn't spend much time at the traditional sights of Paris. In contrast, I just wandered around the city, enjoying the day and munching on my baguette. I went back to my sleep space and chilled with the cool people again, and we had a picnic in the park of Paris, and then later moved to the side of the canal. Best night in Paris imaginable.

Michael Jackson lives again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment