Thursday, July 1, 2010

World Cup

The World Cup has started, as you are all aware, and let me tell you, it's quite an experience being in Europe while it's happening. Now, it's no secret that football...sorry...soccer...is not very popular in the states, but there's plenty of room for a huge market to grow, if only we could win something.

I was in France when their team totally and epically collapsed and the whole country was in a french sort of uproar, which consists of hush tones and drinking more wine than usual. And severely making fun of the coach of the team and blaming everyone else. And being dramatic.

I was in Spain when they played Portugal, their neighbores, in a jam packed bar, glasses raised, singing and yelling, crying with joy when they scored, jumping to their feet and hugging whoever was closest, yelling "¡hijo de puta!" and "¡cabron!" everytime Cristiano Ronaldo, your classic-pretty-boy-soccer-star-from-Portugal-who-plays-on-a-Spanish-club-team-during-season, was shown on the screen.

But anyway, in Europe, I've gotten to experience true fandom, the patriotic-wigs-flags-as-capes-painted-faces-Heineken-in-hand kind of fandom. Now I hope you all clicked on that link and watched the clip (I've just now discovered the Daily Show, a few years behind the times, I know). I totally agree with this sentiment. I find it cute how everyone preaches that football brings people together from all over the world. What it really does is bring people from the same country together in a drunken yelling frenzy, cursing the other team and country as often as they can. But, it's all for love of the game. Pros and cons exist everywhere, I guess. I have really enjoyed watching the games here, knowing the harsh contrast it would be if I was in the States, meaning I would be sitting on my couch or my grandparents munching on potato chips. The World Cup is quite an experience, and one I hope every person from the USA gets to experience, outside the USA. Or it would be AWESOME if soccer became more popular back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment