Sunday, January 10, 2010

El Principio

After 3 days of being in Spain I'm already having trouble communicating in English.
The first day here was a day full of exploring (and dragging feet) and recovering from jet lag. I had my first cup of the marvelous spanish coffee and then....slept for an hour....

First impressions:

The Food: Yes. Wonderful. Love it. Love the times Spaniards eat (breakfast, lunch between 1-4, dinner between 8-10pm). Love the cafeterias for an afternoon cup of café con leche.

The People: Everyone dresses like they're about to model for a fashion magazine here, which of course means my style of dress doesn't quite fit in, but it doesn't bother me. I'm dressed up in my own terms. I'm not going to sacrifice my sense of 'style' during this trip. I might pick up a better fashion sense, but it will still be mine. It's quite obvious that we are americanos because of our horrible grammar and accent, but now is the time to make mistakes so we know more of what we're doing when we get to Valencia!

The City: I can't stop walking. Can't.....stop......It's the best way to see a city and definitely the best way to see Madrid. We went to Toledo and all we did was walk and walk and walk around a city of twisting stone streets where if you used a map you just got more lost than you were when you weren't using one.

I must leave, we are heading to Reina Sofia (art museum) in a bit and I need to get ready. So far it's been incredible. I believe I've named my gnome: Rocinante, after Don Quixote's horse. He's been put into great use so far.

I'll post pictures once I get better internet access.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful Anna!
    You will be able to pick Americans out by sight in a couple of weeks - without having to hear them make a noise and with no mistakes as to their home country (USA vs England, vs Australia, etc.) It is amazing how clothing, posture and gestures identify where you are from as much as how you speak and what you say.

    You can use the ability to pick out Americans to your advantage - when you want to talk to someone in English, and when you want to avoid Americans at all cost.

    "They" will also be able to pick you out of a crowd, at least for a while. Maybe your assimilation will be complete enough to go completely incognito. Good luck with that!

    Nice name for your gnome! Does it translate to mean anything in English?

    love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. The name, Rocinante, is the name of the horse of Don Quixote. Beyond that, have no idea!

    ReplyDelete