Sunday, March 15, 2009

Thoughts on the Midwest

Spring has finally arrived in the Midwest.  For weeks I've been enjoying the warming weather with a typical Midwestener attitude- don't get too excited.  The thing about the Midwest is it likes to play tricks on you.  I guess our region could be called the comedian of the US with horrible punch lines.  The temperature always fluxuates, giving the illusion of the changing of the seasons, and then it snows 3 inches.  Maybe the Midwest would better be described as a tease.  It dangles sun and warmth infront of us and then covers it up with a blanket.  How rude.  Today it was sunny enough that I have the beginnings of a sun burn.  If it starts to get colder again I might scream.  DON'T PLAY WITH MY HEART LIKE THAT!

I was reading this magazine about different regions of the US, and it described the Midwest perfectly: "It's inbetween where you are and where you are going."  And it has the best rest stops on the highway. Which is totally true. Think about it, have you ever seen nicer restrooms than those in Ohio? Or Indiana? Or West Virginia?  The answer is no.  Venture out of the Midwest and you hit dirty pit stops, no toilet paper, and faded paint. Yes ladies and gentlemen, we understand you're just passing by.  We have no attractions except for Cedar Point, and that's at the edge.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love the Midwest, I grew up here.  Acres and acres of corn fields and pig smell are signs of home for me.  But one has to grow up here to like it, I feel.  Whatever, spring is finally here!

No comments:

Post a Comment